Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Blind Woman- Paul Strand


I did my project for this class on Paul Strand. So i thought I would share my favorite picture of his. I like this photo because the object itself is in the forefront of the picture with nothing else to distract it. The lady wears a sign around her neck that reads “blind.” The picture is so specifically about her. Youcan tell the struggles of this woman’s life simply by looking at the details of this picture. The qualities emphasized in the picture are those of isolation, struggle, strength, endurance, alertness and resilience. There is also a very clever and purposeful ironic component to this photograph. It is the concept of blindness directly being viewed by those with the privilege of sight. It is the fact that the viewer can see that they can experience the photo at all. It is this irony that gives the photo its greatness in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment